Monday, June 25, 2012

Chapter 3. The Shore, and It's Surprises.
 The men jumped and yelled in the small dinghy. (I don't know how they did it  without flipping the small craft.) We drifted some more in our trusty vessel, until we came to the shore, and landed there. We quickly realized that the shore was not uninhabited, for several fishermen came down to greet us. They told us we were on an island on the coast of England, and introduced themselves. We did likewise. At hearing my name, one fisherman scratched his head and said, "Ethan Durall, eh!" "Yes sir!" I said emphatically.
"That's funny," he said, "cause we have someone here that says she knows you, and who you'll be quite eager to see."
At that moment, I got sick to my stomach, and I had a feeling it wasn't love.

I walked with the fisherman, until we came to an inn. We walked up three flights of stairs, and we came upon a row of doors that led into rooms. The fisherman knocked on the first one on the left side, and I heard someone answer, "come in."
  The man opened the door, looking quite pleased with himself, and I saw, sitting in a chair, my Lizzy Denton. Her eyes were red, and she was wearing a black mourning dress. She recognized me, jumped up and screamed. "My word! It's the ghost of Ethan Durall!"
As she sank down to the floor in a faint, I reached out quickly to catch, and prevent her from hitting the floor. I had to use all the strength I had, to keep from dropping her weighty form. Her eyes fluttered open, and she whispered softly, (I believe she was attempting to be romantic, but frankly it scared me out of my skin.) "I knew you still loved me..."
I began to put her back in her chair in all haste. As iI was putting her down, the door swung open, and a handsome young man strode boldly into the room. He saw me beside Lizzy, and his dark black eyebrows narrowed into a fierce scowl. I stood up, and asked him who he was. "Who am I?" he roared. "I believe I should be asking that question!"
"Well," I said timidly, "My name is Durall sir, Ethan Durall"
"Durall," he said, " is that the Durall who survived that shipwreck?"
"Yes sir," I said. I realized news must travel fast on this island.
"And you are the Durall who wrote that message in the bottle, that stated your love, and your expectant doom?"
"Yes sir." I didn't like the direction this conversation was going.
"Then Ethan, I challenge you to a duel, a battle of swordsmanship this afternoon at two o'clock sharp in the plaza!"
Lizzy sat up with a jerk. "A duel?" She asked, (I had a feeling she was faking her faint.)
"Yes," the man said, "the winner gets my  fiance Lizzy's hand in marriage." He then left, and slammed the door behind him.
"Oh, how romantic!" Lizzy sighed as she swooned again. I don't think she realized the awfulness of my situation, or, she didn't care,


No comments:

Post a Comment